Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Baby Rhymetime with Scarves

We tried something a little different ... and what fun we had!

Babies from 4 to 18 months and their carers joined us today.



Amazing Baby - Black and White
Amazing Baby: Black and White at Goodreads

Dance with Me: Super Sturdy Picture Book (Super Sturdy Picture Books)
Dance with Me at Goodreads

Hello, How Are You (song)

Scarves were handed out and there were alomost enough to go around [muslin sqares were added to the mix by on-the-ball mums].


Round and Round the Garden (rhyme with scarves)
[moving the scarves around to attract the babies attention]


Where is Baby? (song with scarves)
[to introduce a game of peek-a-boo, and to judge how the babies liked scarves touching their faces].

One Bright Scarf (rhyme with scarves)
[to demonstrate hiding and finding]

Roley Poley (rhyme with scarves)
[holding the scarf in baby's hand and making the actions]
Roley poley, roley poley,
Up and down, up and down,
Roley roley poley,
Roley roley poley,
Up and down, up and down.


Amazing Baby: Black and White! by Emma Dodd (book)
The illustrations are such high contrast that even the smallest baby seemed to look at it. I moved the book a lot to make the patterns described in the book; wavy, zig zag, spirals, etc. and they were intrigued.


Horsey, Horsey Don't you Stop (bouncing rhyme)
[time for a change of pace and some giggles]

This is the way we clap our hands (action song)
Tune: Here we go round the Mulberry Bush

This is the way we clap our hands,
Clap our hands, clap our hands,
This is the way we clap our hands,
On a cold and frosty morning.
... this is the way we flap our wings.
... this is the way we touch our nose.

The Wiggle Song (action rhyme)
[getting ready for another book, and everybody joined in]

Dance with me by Charles R. Smith, jnr (book)
[this was very popular and we moved around as directed by the words in the text. There is just enough repetition and I especially love the line, 'Shake it, shake it, shake it baby!']

Bounce, Tickle and Hug (action rhyme mostly from Mission Bay Library)
[Then time for a bit of touchy, feely time with three favourite actions in one rhyme!]

I bounce you here,
I bounce you there
I bounce you, bounce you, everywhere!

I tickle you here,
I tickle you there
I tickle you, tickle you everywhere!

I hug you here,
I hug you there,
I hug you, hug you, everywhere!


Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes (action song)
[I demonstrated this with the babies lying on the floor, with some toe wiggling at the end] 

The More We Get Together (action song)
[A bit of rocking and swaying to bring the pace down further]

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star (action song)
[finishing off with our usual song/lullaby] 

I'm a relative newcomer to scarves, but love them for this age group. I have some more scarf rhymes for babies and toddlers on my static rhymes to use with scarves page. There is also an earlier post with more ideas and resources.

I'm happy to learn more, so do comment if you have some other favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips