Friday 4 November 2011

Flannel Friday - Preparing for a Pirate Party!


Greetings from Pirate Pete!

I've made this new flannel to use at upcoming Pirate Parties to be held for our visiting Nursery (Kindergarten) classes. It is a combination of song and game which came from the site Making Learning Fun.



Pirate Pete Flannel- complete


The pattern pieces came from their downloadable templates. I made a few alterations to make it work better for me, and to make better use of the layered effect. The pieces I cut are shown in the photos below.  I substituted a different hat, as I didn't think the one from their pattern looked pirate-y enough. You'll see I cut one big piece to go underneath it all for better stability. I also added an extra hat-shaped piece to go behind the head for the same reason, although it does seem to have made the whole thing a bit top heavy!



Pirate Pete Flannel - flannel pieces


I layered up the pieces and stuck everything together except the eye patch, and cut out additional eye patches in different colours.

Pirate Pete Flannel -selection of eye patches

A bit of stripey ribbon, and some puffy paint for a mouth, and Pete is good to go!

The song is sung to the tune of Mary wore a Red Dress, and goes something like this:

The pirate wore a *blue* patch, a *blue* patch, a *blue patch*,
The pirate wore a *blue* patch all day long.

The patches are handed out to the children, and as you sing, the child with that *colour* can place the patch on the pirate. Then the patch can be taken off and a verse with another colour sung instead. 

We could have up to 20 children (although most likely 10 to 16), so thought I'd probably made duplicates of some colours, and have 2 children come up at once, and put one on top of the other, rather than get into colours they might not know.  I'd welcome any better suggestions though!

The Flannel Friday Roundup this week is hosted by Anne at SoTomorrow and links to past and future roundups can also be found at SoTomorrow. Images of flannel friday posts are displayed on Flannel Friday Pinterest.

7 comments:

  1. Pirate Pete looks AWESOME... and you are definitely inspiring me to run out and get some puffy paint this weekend. ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARRR!

    (Sorry. I couldn't help myself!)

    I love this flannelboard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Now I will be thinking of all the other ways I can adapt Mary Had a Red Dress, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Moly! that is cute little pirate rhyme (and flannel board) awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pirate! What a great idea for a participatory activity (I love those).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your comments, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

    ReplyDelete

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips